OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module Camera Shield:
The ArduCAM OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module Camera Shield (B0067) features the OV2640 color sensor from OmniVision. The sensor has a 1/4.0″ optical format, which combined with the pixel size of 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm, provides the 2.0 MP (1600 x 1200) image. This is a rolling shutter sensor, which captures an entire column (or row) simultaneously, and compiles the image by scanning across (or down).
Lens / Mounts:
The bundled camera module includes the M12 LS-4011 (IR) lens or M12 LS-27227 (NoIR) lens and plastic mount. They are also available without a lens – just a generic plastic lens mount to protect the sensor during shipping; the lens mount supplied with your lens purchased separately replaces the generic mount. Available separately are higher quality metal M12 or CS lens mount, or a motorized IR cutoff filter mount. For the motorized IR cutoff filter mount, the user must supply the 5-18 V power.
The key benefit of the standard (CS and M12) lens mounts available with this module is the simplicity in swapping the lens – fisheye, wide-angle, telephoto, zoom, IR or NoIR filter – all of which are available from DLSCorp. Click on the Camera Lenses product category for the complete selection of ArduCAM lenses. Be sure to note the compatible lens mount height (7 mm, 10 mm, etc.) for each lens selected if you chose an M12 metal mount option. Each lens purchased separately comes with a compatible height lens mount (plastic for M12, metal for CS). Click on the Camera Lens Mounts product category for information about lens mounts, including compatibility with the various lenses.
In the Arduino world, a “shield” is a piggy-back circuit board that provides additional functionality to the development board. In this context, a camera shield provides the required interface from the camera module to your computer. This is an optimized version of the OmniVision SCCB Camera Adapter Board (and OV2640 sensor) provided with the ArduCAM F Shield Rev V2, which reduces the complexity of the camera control interface. It integrates the 2.0 MP CMOS image sensor OV2640, which provides miniature size as well as the easy to use hardware interface and open source code library.
The ArduCAM Mini is easily connected to standard Arduino boards, but it can also be used with any platform, like Raspberry Pi, Maple, chipKIT, BeagleBone Black, as long as they have SPI and I2C interfaces. The ArduCAM Mini not only offers the capability to add a camera interface which isn’t available with some low cost microcontrollers, but also provides the capability to add multiple cameras to a single microcontroller. The same sensor is also available as OV2640 Sensor with a stock lens directly attached to the sensor with an IR filter (no changes are available), and bundled as the OV2640A 2.0 MP Standalone SCCB Camera w/ Adapter Board. Also, see the ArduCAM OV5642 5.0 MP Mini Module for a 5 MP version of the optimized SPI camera: both will work with the ArduCAM Mini Multi-Camera Adapter Board. The OV2640 2.0 MP Camera Module (which uses the ArduCAM USB Camera Shield) provides another interface option for the OV2640A.
- 2.0 MP image sensor OV2640
- 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm pixel size, 3.590 mm x 2.684 mm sensor size
- 1/4″ optical format
- Stock Lens, or M12 or CS Lens Mount options
- LS-4011 (IR) or LS-27227 (NoIR) lens supplied with the M12 bundled camera modules
- IR sensitive with proper lens combination
- I2C interface for the sensor configuration
- SPI interface for camera commands and data stream
- All IO ports are 5V/3.3V tolerant
- Supports JPEG compression mode, single and multiple shoot mode, one time capture multiple read operation, burst read operation, low power mode, etc.
- Works with open source code library for Arduino, STM32, Chipkit, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black
- Compatible with MCU, Raspberry Pi, ARM, DSP, FPGA platforms
- 7 g / 39 mm x 24 mm x 21 mm
- OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module w/ selected lens / mount option (qty 1)
- 8 lead jumper cable
- Note: Arduino board (e.g. Arduino UNO Mega2560) is not included