OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module Camera Shield:
The ArduCAM OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module Camera Shield (B0067) is based on the OV2640 color sensor from OmniVision. The sensor has a 1/4.0″ optical format, which combined with the pixel size of 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm, provides the 2.0 MP 1600 x 1200 UXGA image. This is a rolling shutter sensor, which captures an entire column (or row) simultaneously, and compiles the image by scanning across (or down).
This camera module is supplementary in order to fulfill the demands for different lens mount, field of view (FOV) and depth of the field (DOF). For the same sensor, other choices include the OV2640 Sensor with a stock lens directly attached to the sensor with an IR filter (no changes are available) and the OmniVision SCCB Camera Adapter Board (bundled as the OV2640A 2.0 MP Standalone SCCB Camera w/ Adapter Board). The OV5642 5.0 MP Camera Module (which uses the ArduCAM USB Camera Shield) is another option. Also, see the ArduCAM Mini Multi-Camera Adapter Board and ArduCAM OV5642 5.0 MP Mini Module.
Lens / Mounts:
The bundled camera module include the M12 LS-4011 lens and plastic mount. They may also be purchased with a higher quality metal M12 or CS lens mount, or with a motorized IR cutoff filter mount (the user must supply the 5-18 V power). They are also available with just a generic plastic lens mount to protect the sensor during shipping. Note: the 8.5 mm M12 motorized IR cutoff filter mount does not fit properly on this board.
The key benefit of the standard lens mounts available with this module is the simplicity in swapping the lens – fisheye, wide-angle, telephoto, zoom, IR or NoIR filter – all of which are available here – click on the Camera Lenses product category for the complete selection of ArduCAM lenses. Be sure to note the compatible lens mount height (7 mm, 10 mm, etc.) for each lens selected. Each lens purchased separately comes with an appropriate height lens mount (plastic for M12, metal for CS). Click on the Camera Lens Mounts product category for information about lens mounts, including compatibility with the various lenses.
In the Arduino world, a “shield” is a piggy-back circuit board that provides additional functionality to the development board. In this context, a camera shield provides the required interface from the camera module to your computer. This is an optimized version of the ArduCAM F Shield Rev. C, which reduces the complexity of the camera control interface. It integrates the 2.0 MP CMOS image sensor OV2640, which provides miniature size as well as the easy to use hardware interface and open source code library.
The ArduCAM Mini is easily connected to standard Arduino boards, but it can also be used with any platform, like Raspberry Pi, Maple, chipKIT, BeagleBone Black, as long as they have SPI and I2C interfaces. The ArduCAM Mini not only offers the capability to add a camera interface which isn’t available with some low cost microcontrollers, but also provides the capability to add multiple cameras to a single microcontroller.
- 2.0 MP image sensor OV2640
- 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm pixel size, 3.590 mm x 2.684 mm sensor size
- 1/4″ optical format
- Stock Lens, or M12 or CS Lens Mount options
- LS-4011 lens supplied with the M12 bundled camera modules
- IR sensitive with proper lens combination
- I2C interface for the sensor configuration
- SPI interface for camera commands and data stream
- All IO ports are 5V/3.3V tolerant
- Supports JPEG compression mode, single and multiple shoot mode, one time capture multiple read operation, burst read operation, low power mode, etc.
- Works with open source code library for Arduino, STM32, Chipkit, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black
- Compatible with MCU, Raspberry Pi, ARM, DSP, FPGA platforms
- 7 g / 39 mm x 24 mm x 21 mm
- OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module w/ selected lens / mount option for Arduino UNO Mega2560 board (qty 1)
- 8 lead jumper cable
- Note: Arduino board is not included
- The user must provide the 5-18 V power used for the motorized IR cutoff filter.