The OV2640A Sensor is a 2.0 MP Standalone SCCB Camera based on the OV2640 color sensor from OmniVision.
The sensor has a 1/4.0″ optical format, which combined with the pixel size of 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm, results in the 2.0 MP 1600 x 1200 VGA | WVGA | SXGA | UXGA image. This is a rolling shutter sensor, which captures an entire column (or row) simultaneously, and compiles the image by scanning across (or down). The lens and/or sensor have an IR-cut filter, so this module is not appropriate for low-light photography. This module does not have a lens mount, but relies on the optics supplied with the sensor.
The camera module provides a 20-pin 0.1″ (2.54 mm) pitch primary interface, which fits the ArduCAM USB Camera Shield (or your custom-built interface). ArduCAM supplies a wide variety of camera modules, all are compatible with the USB Camera Shield, and all are available from DLSCorp. See also OV2640A 2.0 MP Standalone SCCB Camera w/ Adapter Board.
OmniVision CAMERACHIP™ image sensors are low voltage CMOS devices that provide the full functionality of a single-chip camera and image processor in a small footprint package. They provides full-frame, sub-sampled, scaled or windowed 8-bit/10-bit images in a wide range of formats, controlled through the Serial Camera Control Bus (SCCB) interface. All required image processing functions, including exposure control, gamma, white balance, color saturation, hue control, white pixel canceling, noise canceling, and more, are also programmable through the SCCB interface. A compression engine provides for increased processing power. In addition, OmniVision CAMERACHIP sensors use proprietary sensor technology to improve image quality by reducing or eliminating common lighting/electrical sources of image contamination, such as fixed pattern noise, smearing, etc., to produce a clean, fully stable color image.
- High sensitivity for low-light operation
- Low operating voltage for embedded portable apps
- Standard SCCB interface works with OmniVision SCCB Camera Adapter Board
- Supports image sizes: UXGA, SXGA, SVGA, and any size scaling down from SXGA to 40×30
- Automatic Exposure Control (AEC), Automatic Gain Control (AGC), Automatic White Balance (AWB), Automatic Band Filter (ABF), and Automatic Black-Level Calibration (ABLC)
- Color saturation, gamma, sharpness (edge enhancement), lens correction, white pixel canceling, noise canceling, and 50/60 Hz luminance detection
- Line optical black level output capability
- Video or snapshot operation
- Zooming, panning, and windowing functions
- Internal/external frame synchronization
- Variable frame rate control
- Supports LED and flash strobe mode
- Cellular and Camera Phones
- PC Multimedia
- Digital Still Cameras
- OV2640A Standalone Camera Module
- Note: Does not include OmniVision SCCB Camera Adapter Board or ArduCAM USB Camera Shield