OV2640A – 2.0 MP SCCB Camera Sensor on Adapter Board:
The OV2640A – 2.0 MP SCCB Camera Sensor on Adapter Board features the OV2640 color sensor from OmniVision. The sensor has a 1/4.0″ optical format, which combined with the pixel size of 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm, provides the 2.0 MP (1600 x 1200) UXGA image. This is a rolling shutter sensor, which captures an entire column (or row) simultaneously, and compiles the image by scanning across (or down).
The advantage this board has is the easy exchange of sensors – since the sensor plugs into the boards, simply remove and replace the sensor. The disadvantage is the adapter board does not offer a standard (CS or M12) lens mount, but uses the “stock lens” supplied with the sensor. However, additional camera modules with the same sensor are available from ArduCAM. For example, you can purchase the OV2640 – 2.0 MP Mini Module bundled with an M12 lens. Or, you can customize that solution with either an M12 or a CS mount, and any compatible lens, sold separately. Click on the Camera Lens Mounts product category for information about lens mounts, including compatibility with the various lenses. Then, click on the Camera Lenses product category for the complete selection of ArduCAM lenses.
In the Arduino world, a “shield” is a piggy-back circuit board that provides additional functionality to the development board. In this context, a camera shield provides the required interface from the camera module to your computer. You may choose to create your own custom-built hardware interface via the 20-pin 0.1″ pitch connector. Or, you may purchase one of the available ArduCAM camera shields.
The ArduCAM USB Camera Shield provides you a USB connection to a Windows, x86 Linux, Nvidia Jetson, or Raspberry Pi computer for these camera modules.
You may use the ArduCAM F Shield Rev V2 or the ArduCAM LF Shield Rev V2 to connect to Arduino system boards. Open-source software and binaries are provided on the ArduCAM GitHub site (see link below) for these shields.
- OV2640 OmniVision color sensor
- 2.0 MP resolution (1600 H x 1200 V)
- 2.2 µm x 2.2 µm, 3.59 mm x 2.684 mm sensor size
- 1/4″ optical format
- 15 fps at 1600 x 1200 UXGA, 30 fps at SVGA, 60 fps at CIF
- High sensitivity for low-light operation
- 20 pin 2.54 mm (0.1″) pin header connector
- 28 mm x 37 mm
- The lens and/or sensor have an IR-cut filter, so this module is not suitable for IR photography.
- Data Sheet for OmniVision OV2640 Sensor
- Data Sheet for ArduCAM OV2640 Camera Module
- Online Documentation for ArduCAM SPI Cameras for Arduino
- ArduCAM GitHub Open Source Software for Arduino Compatible Breakout Boards
- User’s Guide for ArduCAM USB Camera Shield
- Online Documentation for ArduCAM OV2640 Breakout Boards
- ArduCAM GitHub Open Source Software for ArduCAM USB Camera Shields