OV5647 – 5.0 MP NoIR Camera Module w/ Motorized IR Cut Filter
The OV5647 – 5.0 MP NoIR Camera Module w/ Motorized IR Cut Filter features the OV5647 color sensor from OmniVision. Raspberry Pi uses this sensor for their 5.0 MP camera. The sensor has a 1/4.0″ optical format, which combined with the pixel size of 1.4 µm x 1.4 µm, provides the 5.0 MP 2592 x 1944 QSXGA image. This is a rolling shutter sensor, which captures an entire column (or row) simultaneously. The sensor compiles the image by scanning across (or down).
This camera module is supplementary to the official Raspberry Pi camera in order to fulfill the demands for different lens mount, field of view (FOV) and depth of the field (DOF). The module options provide the same sensor, with or without the IR cutoff filter (controlled by software), and with all of the standardized lens / mounts described below.
Lens / Mounts:
These camera modules are sold bundled with the M12 LS-1820 (NoIR) lens and plastic mount. They may also be purchased with a bayonet-style motorized IR cutout filter lens mount. The lens mount is available either as a CS lens mount (12 mm) or an M12 lens mount (either 7 mm or 13 mm). See the ArduCAM GitHub site for the software to control the feature (and all of the open source ArduCAM software). Also, see the Motorized IR Cut CS Mount Filter and Motorized IR Cut M12 Filter pages for additional information.
The key benefit of the standardized lens mount used for this module is the simplicity in swapping the lens – fisheye, wide-angle, telephoto, zoom, IR or NoIR filter – all of which are available from DLSCorp. Note that this camera module is available as either M12 mount or CS mount only, for any compatible lens, sold separately. Click on the Camera Lenses product category for the complete selection of ArduCAM lenses. Be sure to note the compatible lens mount height for each M12 lens selected.
- 8.5 mm M12 mounts support: LS-0527, LS-1820, LS-20150, LS-20211, LS-25180, LS-30188, LS-30208, LS-40166, LS-20150238, LN006, LN007, LN008, and LN009 lenses
- 12.5 mm M12 mounts support: LS-0527, LS-6020, LS-8020, LS-12020, LS-18023, LS-20211, LS-27180, LS-27225, LS-27227, LS-30188, LS-30207, LS-36021, LS-40166, LS-81600, LN002, LN003, LN004, and LN005 lenses
Raspberry Pi Interface:
The camera module is a custom-designed add-on for the Raspberry Pi system boards. The board itself is tiny, at around 36 mm x 36 mm. The camera is connected to the BCM2835 processor on the Pi via the CSI bus. The CSI bus is capable of extremely high data rates, and it carries pixel data exclusively. A 15-pin flexible flat cable (FFC) connects the camera to the CSI socket on the Raspberry Pi; additional lengths of the FFC cables are also available.
The camera is supported in the latest version of Raspbian, Raspberry Pi’s preferred operating system.
- 1/4.0” optical format (sensor size)
- 5.0 MP resolution (2592 H x 1944 V)
- Motorized IR Cut M12 or CS Lens Mount
- LS-1820NoIR lens supplied with the M12 NoIR bundled camera module
- High sensitivity for low-light operation
- Standard SCCB interface
- Output support for Raw RGB, RGB (RGB565/555), GRB422, YUV (422/420) and YCbCr (4:2:2) formats, JPEG compression formats
- Supports image sizes: QSXGA, QXGA, UXGA, SXGA, SVGA, and any size scaling down from SXGA to 40 x 30
- Automatic image control functions including Automatic Exposure Control (AEC), Automatic Gain Control (AGC), Automatic White Balance (AWB), Automatic Band Filter (ABF), and Automatic Black-Level Calibration (ABLC)
- Image quality controls including color saturation, gamma, sharpness (edge enhancement), lens correction, white pixel canceling, noise canceling, and 50/60 Hz luminance detection
- Low operating voltage for embedded portable apps
- Board Size: 36 x 36 mm
- OV5647 – 5.0 MP NoIR Camera Module w/ selected lens / mount (qty 1)
- CSI 150 mm 15-pin flexible flat cable (qty 1)
- This sensor does not filter IR light, but relies on the motorized IR cut filter for proper operation.